The Program on International Financial Systems and the National Insurance Academy (NIA) of India hosted the inaugural Symposium on Building the Financial System of the 21st Century: An Agenda for India and the United States in January 2016. The event was held in Mumbai India, attracting senior financial leaders, high-ranking government officials, and distinguished academics from the United States and India for intensive, off-the-record dialogue on issues affecting international capital markets.
The cornerstone of all PIFS Symposia is the candid, intimate exchange of ideas and dialogue between global financial counterparts. The 2016 India-U.S. Symposium topics included:
- Financing infrastructure and the Role of Insurance and Pension Funds
- The development of INR Bond Markets inside and outside of India
- Building profundity & resilience in India’s derivatives market: Effective tool of risk management, liquidity and price discovery
At Symposia, dialogue on these topics takes place in small group discussions and plenary sessions, as well as in more informal sessions at meals. Keynote addresses and panel discussions also serve to initiate and enhance the interactive dialogue. Keynote speakers for the 2016 Symposium included:
- Jayant Sinha, Union Minister of State for Finance, India
- Hal Scott, Nomura Professor of International Financial Systems, Harvard Law School
- N. Bajpai, Ex-Chairman, LIC / Ex-Chairman, SEBI / Chairman, Intuit Consulting Pvt. Ltd.
- Arun Jaitley, Union Finance Minister, India
- S. Vijayan, Chairman, Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India
All discussions and presentations are synthesized and presented on the final day of the Symposium in a plenary session, and then summarized and published in a final Symposium report that is distributed to participants. At the conclusion of each Symposium, participants leave with an enhanced sense of the key capital markets and financial and regulatory issues affecting market practitioners and policymakers. Lead sponsors of the 2016 India-U.S. Symposia included:
- CME Group
- JP Morgan Chase & Co.
For more information on the Program, or to request an invitation, please contact Whitney Vasey at firstname.lastname@example.org.